9.11.2007

...still care?

For how many years after an event is it necessary to appear--if not actually be--concerned about it, especially when one remained entirely untouched by it?

Seriously, 6 years ago was like a sort of dream to me. Yeah, I get a little jolt every time I see the WTC either mentioned or pictured, but that's my default reaction to things that are dead and moldering. I don't like them....

Still, though, I wasn't and never have been there...it might be time for me to shed the outer mask of care and concern for the families of the victims and resume my usual cynical attitude. What consequences, what lessons?

Heightened security, perhaps--but that's as much a side effect of shoe bombers....

Invasion of Iraq & Afghanistan, huge injury/death tolls--was this incident like Pearl Harbor, used to advantage? I have suspicions, but it's like trying to see all of America from the top of the Sears Tower. The view is good, but limited, and details are impossible without time....

No comments: