3.25.2009

waiting for nothing

Airports are always described as privileged places in books, movies, whatever. I don’t really get it, though. An airport is the in-between point for going from one place to another, but what isn’t? Your house is the stopping point between destinations like work, school, the mall; and vice versa. I think that airports are only considered special because they bridge broader distances.

In this case, the Internet should be considered the ultimate terminal. And computers are even described that way, sometimes.

… I’m pretty bored, I think I might have brought the wrong books for right now (at some point, I was going to make at least a small effort to study Greek…and humorously enough, the dudes sitting in front of me are bound to the same destination for the same purpose and, as far as I can tell, actually working on the assignment, whose existence I only just vaguely remembered…but I’m on spring break, screw that).

Also, again, I am spending two and a half months in a foreign country. Tee-hee! My one regret, though; baby, if you have some way of reading this, I just want you to know that I love you and already miss you. Even when I say I want to replace you—I don’t really mean it. You know nothing could ever take your place. After all, the PS3 can’t play PS1 games like you.

…What? I brought my camera, tablet, and laptop. It’s the only one that’s missing….

Reading Murakami is always a prompt to look at the ordinary in strange ways; I’ve read the book enough times that I couldn’t help but consider the idea of an airport and, really, how perfectly ordinary it is to have a place like this. We should really consider the existence of the house weird; its only real function, the one that can’t be duplicated by something else, is that of offering a place to sleep. They’re so much bigger than they have to be, aren’t they?

Oh, even weirder. Airplanes. Big hollow metal birds that ease their way through giant puffs of water (I find clouds interesting, yes, :P)—and they’re sort of a race against or with time, it’s weird to think that so much time can be lost just through sheer movement.

No comments: