11.04.2009

Raunch

It looks like we're finally hitting the point where women can treat sex as casually as men do. I say this really only based on a certain famous album, and a few other popular songs (NOT Katy Perry. Go to hell, 15-year-old living in 1948), but the fact that these exist and are massively popular has got to be a sign of something. Namely, that someone thought they could sell, and that they did sell.

Of course, there's still a bit of a price to pay. If you're anything like me, you haven't heard the accusation that Lady GaGa is actually intersex (I doubt it, considering her height), but you definitely know that she's kind of completely insane.

Nevertheless, there it is: women are capable of having casual sex! And not all songs by a woman have to portray her as a "strong" woman who finally got over that one guy but is for some reason still writing a song to him (sorry, P!nk), but can also be about her ability to not be an emotional pussy. Amazing, really, when you think about how prudish American society is.

I mean, people freak out over breasts. To the point where, when those female joggers in New York demanded their right to run topless, an argument was that men would get distracted. Really? Because you don't have any opportunities on your own time to see boobs?

Wait, no, you don't.

But anyway, if you're convinced that you are not a prude, I suggest reading Mary Roach's "Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex." I've only gotten 30 pages in, and have already learned a number of things I didn't know--among other things, something hilariously ironic about the original behaviorist J.B. Watson--and also, surprising (at least to me) that I am not a prude. At least when it comes to other people's sexcapades.


Lastly, I'd like to propose "raunch" (n.) as an antonym for "prude."

No comments: