1.30.2010

Guacamole Sandwich, a (vegan) recipe

A delicious alternative to a) dicing vegetables and b) not having chips.

Okay, so you'll need:

1/2 - small red onion
1/2 - red bell pepper
1 - tomato (preferably ripe)
1/2 - avocado (also damn ripe)
4 - slices of bread
A few leaves of cilantro
Lime juice
Salt
Pepper

It's really simple. (What did you expect? I hate cooking. Worst of all, I had to clean up after myself! Aaargh.)

1. Spread the avocado onto one side of each slice. I actually used the entire half with the seed for one sandwich, so go ahead, splurge if you aren't paranoid about the fat content in avocados.

2. Slice the vegetables thinly, and lay them on to the bottom slice of bread. Put the tomato on the bottom and the onions on top, unless your idea of adventure involves a bit of a mess.

3. Salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste. Toss on a few cilantro leaves, too. Now put it all together!

4. Grill. I didn't have one, so I had to make do with a frying pan and olive oil...but I think grilling would be a lot better.


I suspect this would be better with a little bit of salsa and/or serrano peppers, but as I'm out of avocados, someone else will have to try it.

2 comments:

Lady with the Lamp said...

Yes! I've been looking for a good vegan panini recipe,because we just got some panini bread (I have to rip it in half to fit it in the toaster). Avocado makes the best spreads, I totally did this when in france, they're huge on sandwiches there. Except it wasn't toasted and everyone was confused as to why mine had no ham. Also, awww vegan

PD said...

Perfect timing, then :P

Oooo, panini bread! That stuff is amazing.

Haha, I know, right? Your crazy ideas (and chemical paranoia) are spreading to me.