11.22.2008

Med Schools "Like" Blogging

So yeah, I have to start caring about what-all med schools are going to think of my application as my strong points are all the extracurriculars I'm involved with.  This brings in a really, really obnoxious decision, though: picking volunteer organizations and internships based on the face I need to present to medical schools.

You'll hear it a lot when you're applying to college and grad school: some schools "like" this, they "don't like" other things, so on and so forth.  There's an endless list of things you can do to prime yourself into the perfect candidate besides a ridiculous GPA and test scores, showing your commitment to healthcare and community and in general the fact that you aren't doing this just for the money (but I ask: if you're good at your job, then what intentions really matter? cf. Aristotle if you like).

I hate it.

I hate being forced to jump on anything that just has the 'healthcare' label attached or to play up my role in organizations or to pretend to care about a few things that actually don't mean that much to me.  It's absurd and I've started even questioning my motivation for doing a whole host of things that should be perfectly legit as things I just want to do.

The problem is, I don't have a choice.  I want to work on human brains and I need the degree.  They've got the power and they call the shots.

Although...this is pretty much how the world works, right?  I think the point is to get used to it now, put up with it for a while, and then change things once you have the power.



In other news: Obama's radio address.  How cool is it that he is sticking to his platform?  He's not breaking any promises he didn't make.

No comments: