6.29.2009

Transience

A little while ago, I was walking through Hyde Park and, for some reason, totally freaked when I saw that this one record store we'd visited as freshmen was no longer there...only to completely chill once I saw that it had only moved to a new location. This was definitely an 'uh, what' sort of moment. I mean, I didn't have any attachment to that place...nor have I been the best community dude of Hyde Park, nor have I even been here for three months....

This doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the problem is that we rely on places to remain unchanged for far longer than we expect anything else to change. The only way to avoid this is either to spend no time in one place, or to spend all your time in one place.

P.S. Why did half the stores on the North Side shift around. UNCOOL, guys.

No comments: