7.17.2005

4 Hours of Entertainment: $19.29

Yah...new Harry Potter book. I will review it for my own amusement.

Actually, Rowling has gotten far better at creating serious situations with actual meaning--and the surprising thing is that she isn't too trite about it, like many writers and all of Disney. Sadly for me, I couldn't make fun of the characters because they were fairly intelligent--and mature! --in this one. Even Harry, who seems to have burned out his Potteritis (commonly known as PMS) and idiocy with women (damn...). The only complaint I have about this is that it gets angsty at points; I mean, there are only so many times one can reasonably mention the word 'blood' and make references to it in a chapter of tragedy. Well, it is getting increasingly serious; not a bad thing, personally, since Harry's becoming less of a Mary-Sue (he now makes mistakes!). And the useless details are totally filtering out, save for the little sideplot love stories, which I personally think are only in to appease fanwhores.

So, anyway, it's interesting to read. I don't think it's really worth $30.00 (which it probably never will be anyway--but even $20 is too much), but that's probably because of me predicting 4.5 to 5 hours of reading from this and getting only 3.75.

1 comment:

PD said...

Oh--haha! Yay, Susie has a blog name.... But no HP#6?! Ce n'est pas chaud.